Saturday, June 26, 2010

Look what I can do!


Check out my new skill! It was my aim to learn to crochet this year, and true to my word, here are the spoils.

I took a class on Thursday in central London, which taught me the basics of how to make a 'granny square'. I can now follow a pattern and understand the basic stitches, which in turn will make it easier to understand the extended stitches such as triple crochet.

I am not one of those terribly co-ordinated people I have to say, though I wasn't going to go into this experience thinking that I couldn't do it. After almost dropping the f bomb a couple of times in class, my teacher patiently guided me through the loops and hooks that makes a stitch, reaffirmed that I could do it, and told me not to worry. By the third 'round', I was understanding that crochet is basically a formula, and by following that formula (i.e. the pattern), you'll get the desired design. So dense I no longer felt; instead, pats on the back all round.

With no wool on Friday, I was on edge. This morning, almost timing it to perfection, the God's of retail had blessed today be the start of the summer sales, therefore I bought 20 reams of wool for 50% off.  Nice one.

So here I am on a beautiful London Summer's day, enjoying the breeze, whilst watching Nadal at Wimbledon, and crocheting my granny squares.

Today is bliss.

3 comments:

Brioche said...

This makes me want start cross stitching again. :) There's something soothing in working with soft coloured wool, isn't it?
Anyway have a good time, enjoy your summer.

Fancy a dance? said...

Cross stitch has been mentioned to me- is it difficult? I have a knitting class next month- so excited!
Summer is over in London I imagine-hope you had an awesome Summer Brioche!

Brioche said...

Frankly it's not very difficult as long as the only purpose is having fun and embellish some napkins (or even a piece of clothing). Getting a pro at it may be more tricky, but as far as I'm concerned I do it as professionally as a kid plays with his coloured pencils.:P

Actually as a kid I made some pretty impressive stuff but it's been a while and I've lost most part of my free time and skills since.
There are a bunch of magazines on the market who offer easy patterns for beginners, maybe you'll find something you like.

It's been a very long beautiful summer here in the east, I consider myself lucky :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails