Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Somewhere- Sofia Coppola- wetting my pants



I cannot sing the praises of Sofia Coppola high enough, and her latest work Somewhere, does not change this opinion.

I fell in love with Coppola through her work, The Virgin Suicides then again with Lost in Translation. I even favoured Marie Antoinette, despite less than positive reviews.

Somewhere stars Stephen Dorff, the 90s posterboy that people of my generation favoured before he got drug-haggled and disappeared (probably got fat, then decided to pull a Mickey Rourke on us and take a chance). It also features little Elle Fanning (sister of Dakota) in what looks like a role which will break through her family shackles.

Because Somewhere was written by Coppola (she received an Oscar for screenwriting Lost in Translation), I know me and this film are going to get along like a house on fire. Slow, meloncholic, serious, contemplative- throw all these words at me and they shall roll off my back. For Coppola knows how to write, perhaps because she draws upon so many of her own experiences. And who wouldn't want to find out more about the life she has led?

Somewhere will premiere at Venice Film Festival in September, then has a release date of December elsewhere. Crossing off my calendar now.

2 comments:

Belle said...

I'm really looking forward to this too! I'm already smitten by the story-line.

Fancy a dance? said...

Smitten is a nice adjective. I'll see it with you Belle; I'll be home by the time it's released. x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails