Sunday, May 23, 2010

Vintage! Vintage!

I can't say I stick to a particular style when I dress, more I am a slave to my emotion that day, choosing to grab whatever clones my mood.

Always one to tread the vintage clothing waters though, I do love a classic cut, a tailored jacket/dress/pant et al, and the way certain clothes envelope my body.

As I grow in age (and retain my modesty), I find dressing to my shape is imperative when I purchase anything. I can't stand people who go outside only to have the world subjected to their gut hanging over their bottom wares. Ill-fitting clothes, or just ill-fitting taste? And leggings! Oh my, why must these be around? They do not suit most people on the best of days, let alone when you're wearing them as pants (bottoms). There should be no public camel toes, something should cover your ass, and perhaps you should throw on a pair of shoes and stop pretending Uggs are for outdoor use. They're not, they're expensive slippers. For indoors only.

Having a relatively small waist, I seek out skirts, tailored trousers and dresses; vintage makes my heart sing, and over the years i've practically recorded an album. I've been so lucky to be able to find some beautiful clothes, some of which include, a gorgeous 1940s blue above-the-knee skirt, with pleated detail front and back, for £10; a collection of summer dresses with button details to the waist, then a broad flowing skirt to twirl in (ranging from £10-45); a lovely brown leather day purse, with short double straps for £15; and many, many more.

Vintage shopping has become part of my travelling repertoire, I do thorough research before I go anywhere, to try and get the best I can get. London has definately spoilt me, though I find it is so expensive here, so don't come expecting a bargain, especially where tourists lurk (like Portobello Rd).

Here are some of my favourite vintage spots in London. They're not a secret, so enjoy.

- Vintage Market
F Block T2 | 85 Brick Lane, London
Every Friday, Saturday 11am – 6pm and Sunday 10am – 5pm

Coinciding with the Up Markets, grab some lovely thai duck rolls, and head up the stairs to the top floor. Here you'll find the professional stall holders, amongst the grots and gits of East London, selling anything from the 20s, right through to late 90s. A treasure trove of one-off things that change from week to week.

- Beyond Retro
110-112 Cheshire Street, London E2 6EJ
Monday - Wednesday 10am - 7pm; Thursday 10am - 8pm; Friday & Saturday 10am - 7pm; Sunday 10am - 6pm

This is the site of the original store, now pratically a chain after its expansion to central London, Brighton and even abroad to Sweden! Situated off Brick Lane, come here for cool clothes, colour coded on the racks and sorted down the line for men and women. I picked up an awesome silk scarve from the 70s, with the entire Waltzing Matilda poem penned on it (plus illustrations). Perhaps come here first, and then head to the many thrifts along Brick Lane.

- Absolute Vintage
15 Hanbury St, London E1 6QR
Monday - Saturday 11am - 7pm; Sunday 11am - 7pm

Frequented by stylists and those who want to pay a little more for their vintage, this medium-sized shop filled to the rafters with cloth, is definately one to poke your head in. Even just to scope the amount of second-hand shoes for sale. I have an elephant foot, though one can always look...

There are so many more thoroughout London, though I suspect these should be stumbled upon by yourself. That way, you can say 'I went to London, and discovered the most amazing little shop...'

Hint: Brick Lane, Portobello Rd (under the freeway overpass, ONLY), Camden Passage parallel to Upper St, and Shoreditch will all provide you with suitable starting points.

Still looking for inspirations, click here for a reliable guide.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails