Monday, May 17, 2010

Defaults

I have always thought that to ask someone their favourite song, movie, band et al was rather ignorant. Considering we explore creativity through a myriad of emotions, elements and desires, the answer to the aformentioned question would change depending on any number of characterisitics.

Having said that, there always seems to be defaults that we fall back on, not necessarily classing them as our favourites, though we're happy to oblige them over and over again in our short lives.

I couldn't tell you what my favourite film was, though I can divulge that I have seen Sound of Music more times than I have counted. I first saw it when I was a little girl; we had taped it from the TV on our 1980s VCR- I was 4 years old. I went to Salzburg, just to see some of the film set. Sound of Music delivers everything I covet- song, romance, secrets, history, freedom.

I also seem to have a couple of default songs, that I listen to over and over again. One is for nostalgic reasons and the other, well perhaps it's the meloncholic melody uprising that I love to bear.

My mum used to sing 'Little Ray of Sunshine' to me, well for as long as I can remember really. It's from Axiom, an Australian band and was released in 1970. Even now, it features heavily on my playlists. It's a beautiful song, take a listen.



The second song is by Regina Spektor, called 'Samson'. I've blogged the lyrics before, though I thought I'd give you the clip. It's stunningly beautiful, passionate though whimsical. I had the good fortune is see Regina play this live, then fuck up the lyrics, then stop suddenly to say 'fuck', then start all over again. So I have heard the beauty 1.5 times. I could play this song on the hour, every hour and not tire of it.



Care to share your defaults?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails