Monday, March 22, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

Wow, neglect!

Pure laziness, no. Tiredness, definately. Time for myself, somewhat attainable though want more.

I claimed time to myself last weekend, and I did something that I haven't done since I was a teen- I read all day. I was on the couch, I pulled the duvet up so I was nice and toasty, I made a cup of tea and then I read. It was indulgent. It was bliss.

The book I am fixated on is called 'Eat, Pray, Love' by Elizabeth Gilbert. I purchased it at the airport on the way to NYC, and thought it would be a good holiday read. I also purchased and read, 'The Lovely Bones' which was depressing as hell, and so I ended up not even touching 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

I was rewarded for my wait though, as the aforementioned does take me on a bender of emotions; it's witty, moving, empathetic, sad, happy, and set across the universe, just the way I like it.

I did think that this novel was going to be somewhat of a bore, given that the film version is due out in Summer with Julia Roberts playing the title role, though I implore you not to be distracted by this minor setback. It is well-written, and as it's based on Gilbert's own experiences, it's touching to read how she overcame 'it' all. 'It' is a divorce, a heartbreak and her subsequent depression.

My sister tried to read the first few pages and found it awfully off putting. I don't know if that's because she isn't a social reader (she devours medical textbooks for fun), or because she is happily married. I on the other hand, am not married, nor can see myself married in the foreseeable future, and do eat books like they're on a never-ending sale at Dymocks. I am a traveller, and it literally pains me that I can't just buy all the books I want. Instead, I probably pick up two a month. Excess baggage, pfft.

So lunchtime ranting over. The book is worth it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails