Monday, December 21, 2009

London love

Living in a foreign country is pretty awesome, though around Christmas time I do miss home, my family and my soon to be doggy mama, Scarlett.

To offset this, I've made a list of all the rad things that I love about London, and the UK.

- Broadway Markets
I think I've blogged about this before though seriously, if you are coming to London, head here for an authentic market experience. It's set along a little street in London Fields, giving it a charming village feel. Some of my favourite things are the yummy Climpson and Sons coffee (with the Aussie's behind the counter, which beckons the question, where do I know the Climpson chick from?! She's worked in Surry Hills before, though it's really bothering me), the Vege stall with their 'Heavenly Halloumi' burgers which are ta-sty, and the scattered couple of vintagey stalls that are a bit of a bargain. Smaller, less crowds, yummy food and cool Londoner's- do it.

- Hyde Park
I love this park, for all of its glory. It's huge, picturesque, doggy friendly, and full of seasonal goodness. In Autumn, leaves coat the greenery; in Winter, frost covers the ground; Summer brings the picnicer's, and Spring brings the bulbs and colour. I love to walk through Hyde Park, though I do avoid the Serpentine- the geese are scary!


- The Gastro Pubs
The UK is known for its pubs, and there is reason why. They're warm, intimate, serve lovely seasonal food and, you can take your puppies into them! My local is as good as any restaurant, making it an easy choice on a night out. And the thing is, all are welcome unlike many at home where you stick to certain places, because they're a certain way. Plus, my alcohol threshold has gone up since schooners were replaced with pints.

- Quirky shops
Ok, I couldn't not mention it, although they've become less important with the popularity of online shopping. When I first got here in 2005, it was all about Topshop, the High Priestess of Oxford St. It's a one stop shop, though the crowds make it monotonous. Some alternatives to Oxford St include, Brick Lane Up Markets (Sunday), Upper St Islington (for one off boutiques and homewares) and High St Kensington (similiar to Oxford St, though far less crowds).

- Come Dine With Me
Channel 4 spoils me with this programme, based on 4 strangers hosting a dinner party for each other over the course of the week. Hit and miss food, akward conversations, drunken antics and bitchy comments make this show super watchable.

- Proximity
...to the rest of Europe, making travel easier, cheaper and more plentiful.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails