Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Question 9

What's a belief that you believe that many people disagree with?


As previously mentioned, I was raised a Catholic. This resonates with me, it always has. From a very young age, mum would say prayers with us; we'd appeal to 'Mr. God' to help whatever pickle we were in or to thank Him for our day, our loved ones, or our good graces.

Interestingly we were C&E Catholics (Christmas and Easter) most of the time, though I was always spiritual. I loved the history of the Church, the mysteries it presented, the Gothic columns, the carved sculptures of Mary looking solemn, the traditions, the hymns, the ritual of the mass. I resented my Grandmother pushing the church on me, religion had to be on my terms, as my interpretation was private and rarely discussed.

Over the past five years or so, I began to attend mass more frequently, certainly not every Sunday, though maybe once a month. Over the past five months however, I have been attending every Sunday. I can't tell you my reasons, though I never want to lose that feeling that I have someone looking after me. God provides that comfort for me, the church gives me solace from any outside troubles I face. An hour a week, I escape whatever issue i have or am experiencing, and I become part of a community to share a common love.

I have developed a religious belief that I know a lot of people do not believe in, and outright criticise. I often think it's interesting how discriminatory they are by doing so, and if the roles were reversed, how incredibly bigoted it would seem. It does sadden me that I cannot be completely open about my beliefs, though I'm not a preacher, and never will be. My religion is my own and I keep it close to my chest. I draw happiness from the scriptures and lessons and beliefs; this of course is not to say I respond to every teaching, made up by nomadic desert people 2000 years ago to suit their needs. I respond to the good of the church; I choose messages that provide growth and inner peace, and some people may say that's accepting a percentage of Catholicism, that's their prerogative. My faith is my own, and none else's.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails