Sunday, June 6, 2010

A London weekend

A weekend of London.

Pedalling along the London streets, Islington was my destination. I wanted to replicate the perfect weekend I had about a month ago when I had picked up my beautiful blue 1940s skirt. Sadly, the stall was not up in Camden Passage, though the experience did provide me with plenty of opportunities to try out my new Canon EOS 550D. I love love love it.

Today I went to Present in Shoreditch. I wasn't particularly interested in the clothes they had on offer, for they were against my gender. Nay, I wanted to try the coffee that was to be made and served to me by the 2009 World Barista Champion, Gwilym Davies.

Davies is based out of men's clothing store, Present. Using Square Mile beans and a very beautiful machine, my flat white came out perfectly sized to make it a lovely combination of strength and creaminess.

I do recommend.

From there, my companion and I meandered down Shoreditch High St, only to merge right towards Mile End Rd.

My research had led me to a new vintage store in town, well new to my ears anyway. The East End Thrift Store is situated down a shifty laneway, off Mile End Rd. Hemmed in by warehouses that look like they are no longer in use, the store is packed full of vintage, divided somewhat down the middle by ladies and mens clothing.

I was attracted to this store, primarily because I had read promises of many items costing no more than £10. Incredible. London is the home of the overpriced second-hand dress, so this was something to see.

Sadly, the atmosphere in the store lacked the potential exitement that would lead you into that perfect vintage find. It didn't feel shabby chic, it just felt shabby. The concrete floor, dressing rooms that were covered by scrap material (and only three-quarters at that), the two art students who ran the store, though couldn't really care less, all contributed to a disappointing experience. The clothes would have saved the day, had they been something to coo about. Sadly, there was a reason why they started at £10. They simply were not at the quality Londoner's expect.


Of course, the store is a fair size so I would recommend a gaze as everyone has subjective vintage expectations. I wanted to find uniqueness; instead I found clothes that had either been manipulated to suit the look of the present day, or were so unappealing, the fabrics and styles look like they should be retired, not re-used.

Present
140 Shoreditch High Street
London E1 6JE

East End Thrift Store
Watermans Building, Unit 1A Assembly Passage,
London, E1 4UT

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails