Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wee Birdy

One of my favourite bloggers Wee Birdy, is flying the coop!

Originally from Sydney, she's seems to be reluctantly heading home after a couple of years in London. Her posts are delightful little morsels of shopping wisdom,  and she has an amazing ability to make you feel like one of her girlfriends on the receiving end of a gushing email.

I've posted her sign off below and I commisserate, because I too have had an agonising decision to make. I now know how hard it is to consider leaving London, therefore I have decided to stay for another 6 months.

Oh the love/hate perils you have put me through London. Minx.

Here's what Wee Birdy will miss...

But it's goodbye London for now...

Goodbye riding in the front seat up the top of a double-decker bus
Goodbye getting mugged
Goodbye marvellous weekend newspapers
Goodbye hot air vents on the buses in summer (oh why oh why?)
Goodbye Tatty Devine, Rob Ryan and Alex Monroe
Goodbye 2am bagels on Brick Lane
Goodbye foxes crying like tortured banshees in the middle of the night
Goodbye proper afternoon tea with clotted cream
Goodbye Sherlock Holmes tiles at Baker Street tube station
Goodbye eternal queues at Monmouth coffee
Goodbye University Challenge and the ever-excitable voice of Roger Tilling
Goodbye perfectly formed snowflakes that sparkle in the weak morning sun
Goodbye Central Line, you served me well (most of the time)
Goodbye narrow lanes and hedgerows in the countryside
Goodbye Sunday roast dinners with Yorkshire pudding
Goodbye sugar mice and Parma Violets
Goodbye brilliant, wonderful Guardian mini mag supplements
Goodbye wild buttercups growing outside Greenwich park
Goodbye picking over 400-year old clay pipes on the banks of the Thames
Goodbye incredible museums and art galleries
Goodbye Time Out (and thanks for employing me in the middle of a recession!)
Goodbye lazy Saturday mornings trawling the stalls at Broadway Market
Goodbye skidding on icy streets because the council couldn’t be arsed to grit
Goodbye daily repeats of Friends on E4
Goodbye 'three for a fiver' bunches of flowers at Columbia Road
Goodbye dusty old bookshops (and rather odd owners) on Charing Cross Road
Goodbye 4pm darkness in December
Goodbye glorious Knickerbocker Glory at Fortnum & Mason
Goodbye pretty little blue tits in the tree outside my window
Goodbye limescale sludge in my tea
Goodbye sitting in the bar at the Tate Modern watching the sun go down
Goodbye walking up Piccadilly in the rain
Goodbye having ice-creams in Hyde Park on green and white striped deckchairs
Goodbye robins in the snow
Goodbye peat bog man at the British Museum
Goodbye getting lost again in Soho
Goodbye ring-necked parakeets in Greenwich park
Goodbye car boot sales
Goodbye Tunnock's Teacakes, how do they make your marshmallow so soft?
Goodbye some of the shittiest customer service I’ve ever experienced in my life
Goodbye installations in the Turbine Hall
Goodbye Waitrose and M&S ready-made meals
Goodbye crazy tile mosaics at Tottenham Court Road tube
Goodbye Selfridges’ Christmas windows
Goodbye people who don’t move down into the carriage
Goodbye geese and squirrels in St James’s Park
Goodbye London sales
Goodbye coots on Regent’s Canal
Goodbye Charbonnel et Walker powdery-pink champagne chocolates
Goodbye shiny mahogany conkers in autumn
Goodbye pink petal showers in spring
Goodbye cheese, coffee and cake at Borough Market
Goodbye grey squirrels - I know I'm not meant to like you, but I do
Goodbye South Eastern trains coming to a standstill within inches of the platform at London Bridge
Goodbye to all my wonderful, wonderful London and UK friends, hope you all keep reading… maybe I can treat you to a coffee in Sydney some time?
Goodbye London, thanks for having me. It’s been a treat and I'll miss you terribly (sob!).
 
Luckily, Ms Birdy will be blogging about Sydney- my favourite city! Woo! It's about time someone shared the love.

2 comments:

Top Bird @ Wee Birdy said...

Why thank you so much, that means so much. I'm taking a wee break but I'm planning my return. xx

Fancy a dance? said...

And I can't wait Ms Birdy! x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails