Wednesday, March 3, 2010

WTF McD & WW?

My first job was at a fast food chain restaurant, typically known to all that exist. I was 14 and a half, my first shift coinciding with Princess Diana's televised funeral. I remember poking my head around the corner of the drive thru area, into the breakroom where the TV was, keen to catch a glimpse of those sad faces. I was a Royalist at age 14.

I worked there, earning my 5.35 an hour for about a year and half. I didn't always enjoy the work, though I didn't so much mind the food; looking back, I'm wondering who I was back then to have worked for a place such as that. I suppose I blame the recruitment drive running through my high school and the fact that I wanted to buy my own clothes.

After moving onwards and upwards in my career, I have managed to avoid hospitality (save the part-time 2nd job I obtained whilst saving for my travels). This intrigues me, as pretty much my favourite thing is food. I talk about it constantly. I judge it to no end. I'm decidedly a 'foodie', and though my standards are high, I do go low sometimes.

So I come back to my first job. An article in today's Sydney Morning Herald caught my eye as it reported that this chain made a deal with Weight Watchers, to label their food 'point' friendly, ie, 2 points for one burger etc.

This to me seems utterly irresponsible and ultimately astounding that no amount of governance can block this obvious marketing initiative. How can this obvious promotion of fat-laden, calorie-heavy 'food' be promoted as healthy? Even when it does meet Weight Watcher standards, the drive to get people in will ultimately feed further than the dieter. For instance, getting a dieting mother in for a point-friendly option, will surely see her buy a cheery meal for her 2 whinging kids?

I just don't understand this relationship. This to me demerits the credibility of Weight Watchers, advising its international clientele that it doesn't matter what you put in your body, just as long as it has under 'x' amount of calories.Completely negligent behavious. 

It doesn't cost much to eat at fast food restaurants, just as it doesn't cost much to prepare healthy options. Often times, the healthy otions will keep on feeding for more than one sitdown meal. Leftovers are one of the brilliant things!

I'm not standing on any soapbox, though I do abhor the fact that people are feeding their fat faces with junk, and then are developing conditions which my tax dollars pay for in later life. No, that's not even it, that's what taxes are for often times. I just care about food and it's right to be not turned into something that kills you.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails