Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Alice at the Barbican

Last Saturday, I saw the much-anticipated Alice in Wonderland 3D.

Since I visited Tim Burton's exhibition a few weeks back at the MoMA (below) in New York, I was keen to see how his images translated to Alice. He isn't my favourite director by any stretch, though I love his designs, illustrations and intriguing ideas. He's the original ideas man, perhaps.


Watching Alice felt like a visual trip, encrusted in a rainbow and blended with sugar. It was ridiculously detailed and even if the film ran at half of its intended speed, you would still miss elements of its mis en scene. Alice was a rich exploration of one man's mind, combing through a classic and making it into the bizarre.

On a general scale, Alice in Wonderland was not entirely my cup of sweet tea, though I was absorbed beyond the story. Getting something out of this story is certainly inevitable.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails