Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Giving up...what?

My earliest recollection of Ash Wednesday was as a child, I believe it was 1987 and I was 5. I remember it, because it was my birthday and I felt so smug having a special day at the same time as my first 'school' Ash Wednesday. We attended Church, rather than class. There was a lot of chatter and rumours of cake, probably started by myself. We were told we had to give something up for Lent. What did one give up at age 5? It was my birthday, was I exempt because it was my day?

Many more Ash Wednesday have been had since then, and I have given up over the years, biscuits (a hard 40 days, that one), swearing and I think judging people (what was I thinking?). You can also take something up and to me, this is much more production and positive.

In my adult years, one of the key things I have tried to maintain, is the practice of no meat on Friday's. I haven't always succeeded (tucking into Pizza Hut buffet on Good Friday on my way to a music festival in Victoria, the shame), though the intention is there and it's the least I can do.

So Lent goes until early April this year. What shall I give/take up? The mind boggles.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails