Monday, January 25, 2010

Nara to my heart


I'm not sure when I came across Yoshitomo Nara, it seemed I always knew the iconic girl in his images. Her snarled eyes and pursed little mouth, wishing your chances away as she stands there so ironically.

 admire the way Nara can create a story in one image, one stare. Why is the little girl angry, why is she sad, or man alive she is awesome at the guitar.

Pop art normally doesn't register with me, although I think Nara's anime and punk influences drive his art more to a universal point, rather than 'I live in a warehouse in New York City and make fabulous art that is ironic'. 

It's simple, it's sweet and his subjects intrigue me. I think the ability to intrigue means that the artist can claim a degree of success.

Artwork 1. Cosmic Girl - Eyes Wide Open

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails